BEST-SELLING AUTHOR/PHYSICIAN DR. KARA DAVIS, M.D. PINPOINTS FIVE HEALTHY NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS
Best-selling author of Spiritual Secrets to a Healthy Heart: Uncovering the Roots of America’s Number One Killer (Siloam/Charisma House SRP: $14.99) and practicing physician, Dr. Kara Davis, shares five healthy New Year’s resolutions that anyone can follow.
1. Make the switch to water. Sugar sweetened drinks and soft drinks are loaded with calories but have no nutritional benefits. Even fruit juice can lead to weight gain because of its natural sugars. Jump-start your weight loss plan by cutting out these empty calories.
2. Practice “Meatless Monday.” Eating too much meat can lead to illness, including cancer and heart attack. Plant-based foods are rich in nutrients, and help protect the body against disease. Cut back on the number of servings and the portion sizes, and make a day or two each week to totally eat meat free.
3. Get enough sleep. People who are sleep deprived are more likely to overeat, which can lead to obesity and all of its related complications. They are also at increased risk for hypertension and mood disorders like depression.
4. Stop smoking. No matter how long you’ve smoked, there are still health benefits to quitting. Even 1-2 cigarettes a day are too many, and increase the risk for heart attack and other diseases.
5. Get a check-up. Depending on your age and health history, it might be time for you to receive certain screening tests or immunizations. Even if you’re feeling great, it pays to see your healthcare provider regularly to stay up to date.
Kara Davis, M.D. is a board-certified physician of internal medicine and chief medical officer of Christian Community Health Center in Chicago. She previously served as an assistant professor of clinical medicine at the University of Illinois at Chicago. In addition to her medical career she is a pastor’s wife and the mother of four children. Visit Dr. Davis online at: http://drkaradavis.com
You may be interested
Pastor Joel Osteen’s Response to Backlash #HurricaneHarveyJermaine Rucker - Sep 04, 2017
World-renowned Pastor Joel Osteen of the Lakewood Church in Houston, TX has received a lot of backlash from thousands upon…
Darwin Hobbs Releases New Single – “Call The Name Of Jesus”Jermaine Rucker - Sep 02, 2017
For many, just hearing the name Darwin Hobbs is enough to send chills down the spine. His lush, supple tenor…